Tuesday, August 26, 2008

McCain: On going to the well once too often

John McCain has been bringing up the fact that he's a POW alot lately. Not as a descriptor in telling people his story, but as a bizarre non-sequiter to any criticism of him. It generally goes something like this "Boy, John you sure did put a bunch of mayo on that turkey club." "I was a POW, the VC didn't give me mayo in my cage." Then followed by an awkward silence as you can audibly hear a man cheapening his own impressive legacy.

He brought it up to defend his inadequate heath care policy and criticism of it. He used it describe why he liked Abba. Honest. Now he's using it to defend his little "I don't know how many houses I have" gaffe. Jay Leno asked him a jokey question about in then..."Could I just mention to you Jay, that in a moment of seriousness, I spent five and a half years in a prison cell, I didn't have a house, I didn't have a kitchen table, I didn't have a table, I didn't have a chair..." Yeah, uhhhh, but why couldn't you remember?

Just a suggestion John: look at Rudy Giuliani. Remember how he used to be "America's Mayor" and how everyone was so sure he was going to be the nominee? Then remember how he decided to cram a 9/11 reference into every sentence and always gave 9/11 as an answer for why he thought or did something? Then remember how Biden buried him with the "Noun, verb, 9/11" remark? That's you in about a month. You're like one or two more POW uses away from self parody status. I know, I know, you're a POW. But there's a time and a place for mentioning it and the default response for why some recent event has made you look stupid isn't it. Abba? Just consider this the one bit of advice I gave you this year. Unless you want to consider 'drop out and go away' advice. I do, but you wouldn't. Because you're a POW.

No comments: