Monday, December 1, 2008

The internet, minus the reason everyone wants the internet.

Hey, the FCC head wants free, wireless internet for all Americans, American looking illegal immigrants, and moochers right up on the Canadian border. So w00t, and "jog on" to Comcast and all that. Except he only wants us to utilize 2% of the internet, walling off the other 98% behind a puritanical "no porn" robo wall.
The proposal to allow a no-smut, free wireless Internet service is part of a proposal to auction off a chunk of airwaves. The winning bidder would be required to set aside a quarter of the airwaves for a free Internet service. The winner could establish a paid service that would have a fast wireless Internet connection. The free service could be slower and would be required to filter out pornography and other material not suitable for children. The FCC's proposal mirrors a plan offered by M2Z Networks Inc., a start-up backed by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers partner John Doerr.

Consumer advocates have objected to the FCC's proposed pornography filter, while the wireless industry has objected to the entire free Internet plan. To address concerns about the filter, the FCC is proposing that adults could opt out and access all Internet sites.
At least the "consumer advocacy groups" (read: dirty old men) are on it, fighting for our right to free porn. Though I would like to see any legal or petitioning briefs to the FCC arguing that access to free XXX rated action over government wireless internet is some sort of constitutional right envisioned by George Washington himself. Take heart, you are this close to living your dream: watching the most degenerate pornography you can think of in a public square, courtesy of the government wireless network.

No comments: