Monday, September 14, 2009

Quote of the day

President Barry on 60 Minutes, starting to 'get it' on health care while at the same time 'not getting it':
He continued: "You know, I intend to be President for a while and once this bill passes, I own it. And if people look and say, 'You know what? This hasn't reduced my costs. My premiums are still going up 25 percent, insurance companies are still jerkin' me around,' I'm the one who's going to be held responsible."
Hey, that's exactly right: you are going to be judged by what gets passed. Nice to see that you understand that. So...uh, how come you didn't understand that when you handed off the entirety of the work to Congress with the instructions "Come up with something, I guess...whatever...I'll be sitting over here" and then proceeded to sit out the debate while your poll numbers declined? How come you saw fit to let Max Baucus craft a de-facto Senate bill that doesn't do stuff like reduce costs? How come everyone in the Democratic party seems to think that people care if the bill is 'bipartisan', as if anyone will give a shit if that means the bill is also 'terrible'? How come most of the 'debate' has centered around slagging the ideas and selling out the biggest chunk of your party that will be counted on to go out and re-elect you?

It's just that for someone who says he understands he's going to be held responsible...he hasn't acted like someone who understands he's going to be held responsible.

No comments: