Sunday, June 28, 2009

Note to Iranians

With protest crackdowns continuing, Khamenei continuing to blame the British for everything, calls for the west to stop influencing those damned impressionable Iranian kids, and Jon Bon Jovi making everything better, I have to say I'm not behind all the tactics protesters are using. If you want to overthrow the power structure that is oppressing you and gain the help of members of the government to do it, it's best not to announce your plans ahead of time. Seems to me its the sort of thing that would be frowned upon when announced out loud.
The power struggle inside Iran appears to be moving from the streets into the heart of the regime itself this weekend amid reports that Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani is plotting to undermine the power of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Rafsanjani's manoeuvres against Khamenei come as tensions between the speaker of the parliament, Ali Larijani, and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also appeared to be coming to a head.
...
In the past few days, Larijani - who was fired by Ahmadinejad as chief negotiator on nuclear issues with the west - has announced his intention of setting up a parliamentary committee to examine the recent post-election violence in an "even-handed way". In response, Ahmadinejad supporters within the parliament have discussed the possibility of impeaching Larijani.

In a move with even greater potential significance, according to several reports Rafsanjani has been lobbying fellow members of the powerful 86-strong Assembly of Experts, which he chairs, to replace Khamenei as the supreme leader with a small committee of senior ayatollahs, of which Khamenei would be a member. If Rafsanjani were successful, the constitutional change would mean a profound shift in the balance of power within Iran's theocratic regime.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe walking the halls shouting "I'm looking to remove the Supreme Leader from power, would anyone want to publicly join my campaign to oust him and the "elected" President of Iran? Meet me in the lobby!" Seems to me while you may think you're speaking about taking the power back, it sounds more like you're saying "Hey Basij, please beat me and imprison me! You get to pick the order of those two choices!"

That said I think you're gonna win out. I mean look how badly Khamenei overreached. Now he's trying to overthrow Honduras. I think you'll be able to gain the upper hand when he has to go toe to toe in a border dispute with Hugo Chavez.

No comments: