Friday, November 13, 2009

In which I take issue with metaphor usage on TPM

When perusing their site looking for things to get angry about in my continued bid to have constant outrage shorten my like by a good decade, I stumbled across this headline referencing the Democratic fight over Bart Stupak decided all your uterus belong to him.
Navigating the Abortion Minefield
I know it was your harmless attempt to stylistically compare two things, but did you ever give any consideration to those of us who have actually been trapped in an abortion minefield? I was. My God, the exploding placentas,....pressure triggered umbilical cords,....the carnage of exploding unwanted fetuses everywhere. I remember....a doctor...with forceps...cackling madly as he set off the charges. I don't remember exactly how I eventually got out, but it's a haunting nightmare that stays with me to this day. I don't like it being used to as a descriptor for a mere political fight. You see....
"I have a warning for Congress," 60 Plus president Jim Martin said in a statement. "There is a senior citizen tsunami flooding towards the halls of Congress, unless it subsides, they can expect their offices to be flooded with angry voices."
Have you ever been in a senior citizen tsunami? It's awful. The constant wave after wave of elderly men and women, surrounding....engulfing everything in the area, destroying buildings, dragging victims out to the sea. I remember the great senior citizen tsunami of 2003. I was caught in a large palm tree with Petra Nemcova for nearly a day. It was terrible for her, not because of her numerous injuries that she received from the crushing mass of pensioners, but because I'm an unpleasant person to be around.

So TPM, just be careful next time. Some of your simple metaphors have a lot of bad memories associated with them for people like me who like to get fake outraged and crack dick jokes on the internet.

No comments: