Monday, April 6, 2009

Quote of the day: Apology tour

Gremlins are to blame. Who knew?

Eliot Spitzer on whoring ruining his political career and the films of Zach Galligan:
"I, Matt, like most of us, I suppose -- I won't speak for anybody else. I have flaws. I've tried to think about it deeply, address it," he said. "As I say, there are no excuses. I've tried to address these gremlins and confront them. What I did was an egregious violation of trust to my family, colleagues and the state. I paid a price and appropriately so."

Later, Lauer asked Spitzer to "give me some ballpark, some estimation of how long this went on and how frequently." The former governor was vague: "Not frequently, not long in the grand context of my life."
You know Eliot, I'm fine with politicians whoring around and cheating on their wives. Really. Unless it's some moral crusader and shows some massive hypocrisy I could care less. But in our crotch obsessed media and elections process this stuff does matter. So when you go on your big apology tour it's best not to shift your mistake on to invisible critters you have to do mental battle with to not bang prostitutes. Also a good idea? Not to say your time spent nailing hookers was small compared to the epochal expanse of the entire history of the universe.

Next time anyone asks? "I like sex and didn't think about the political/familial ramifications." and "I only nailed hookers for a year or two." No gremlin, critter, chud, or mind goblin references. No attempts to weigh your choices against the breadth of human history.

No comments: